8.9.08

9/9 Phrase: Rousseau/Satan

Rousseau says a line in his book very similar to Satan’s in the Qur’an: “I am not made like any one I have been acquainted with, perhaps like no one in existence; if not better” (Rousseau 7). In the Qur’an, Satan says, "I am better than him (Adam), You created me from fire, and him You created from clay” (Surah Al-A’raf 7:12). Not only does Rousseau claim to be better than Adam, but it seems as if he puts himself above his god. He says, “I will present myself before the sovereign judge with this book in my hand” (Rousseau 7). He brings his own book to be judged, as if to say that his god’s is unnecessary because he keeps track of his own deeds. Does he not trust his god’s own book? Similar to Satan’s claiming to be better than Adam, Rousseau also claims to be better than every man who might be summoned to judge him. Good luck making friends up there.

1 comment:

Christophe Gothâme said...

Rousseau was always ridiculously arrogant in his beliefs and abilities; I do not disagree with your conclusions at all. I prefer the satirical realism of Voltaire any day of the week.