30.10.08

Worst worst?

























It's a little bit funny this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live

If I was a sculptor, but then again, no
Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show
I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song and this one's for you.

[chorus:]
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world.

--Elton John, "Your Song," 1970

"Less best. No. Naught best. Best worst. No. Not best worst"... Beckett, Worstward Ho

"the logic of progression from statement to statement is paradoxically propelled by a series of implicit or explicit objections continually jerking us backward, resulting in a writing that continually calls attention to itself as lacking, even as it steadily accumulates." Ngai, 256.

No comments: